Kilburn Willesden collage

Willesden Local History Society News

Victorian gas holders at Ladbroke Grove

Victorian Gas Holders at Kensal Green

As our route out of Covid Lockdown still seems uncertain, we have planned a short walk in the fresh air for our April event.

This will be a self-guided walk to say goodbye to Kensal Green Gas Holders, due for demolition. They are the relics of the Western Gas Company, which established gas works on this site in 1845. By the turn of the century they occupied a large area between the Grand Junction Canal and the railway. The works burnt coal to produce gas, which was stored in the gas holders, to be sold for lighting gas lamps on the streets and in buildings.

We plan to produce a simple guide with details to observe some industrial archaeology, while enjoying the wildlife and tranquility of the waterside.

However, we’ve just learnt that the demolition of the gas holders is to start on Monday, 15th March – the construction company would have started earlier, but they could not do it in the strong winds that we’ve been having. Weather permitting, the structure will be completely gone in a month. So, if you would like to see the gas holders before they disappear, you will need to make it sooner rather than later.

The walk begins at the Ladbroke Grove entrance to the Grand Junction Canal towpath, by Sainsbury’s superstore. There are bus services to Ladbroke Grove, from Willesden Green, (no.52.), and along the Harrow Road, (no. 18.)

A simple Guide will be still be produced and, when ready, sent to members electronically and, to those for whom we do not have email addresses, by post.

Share this:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Recent News

Jabeen Desai and Grunwick Strike podcast
Women Inspire podcast

Womeninspire podcast features Jayaben Desai and the Grunwick Strike, which took place at Grunwick Film Processing Laboratories in Chapter Road,  in Willesden. between 1976 and 1978.

Read More »
Altamira, Stonebridge

Altamira in 2020 The attractive Victorian villa on the corner where Hillside Stonebridge meets Brentfield Road has been part of the local scene since 1876.

Read More »